Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Explore the Universe - M5

Going into Friday, May 20, 2017 I required four more observations of deep-sky objects on the Explore the Universe list.  I was fortunate to have the opportunity to find three.  The first one I found was a globular cluster in a constellation known as Serpens.  Serpens is a strange constellation as it is split up into two non-contiguous sections bisected by Ophiuchus  Serpens contains Serpens Caput (head) and Serpens Cauda (tail) where the body of Serpens is represented going behind Ophiuchus.  This was just when I thought the constellations started to make sense.

For more information about globular clusters please see my blog post from January 18, 2017 linked below.

What is a Globular Cluster?

Messier 5 is an amazing globular cluster.  It spans 160 light years across and may contain up to half a million stars.  It is also one of the oldest globular clusters at an age of roughly 13 billion years.  An image I took of this cluster is shown below.

Messier 5
Its arclength in the sky is 23' and it spanned about a third of my field of view with my 25mm eyepiece.  After spending the Spring viewing open clusters it was a rewarding experience to come back to the Summer globulars.  The observation record is shown below.

M5 Observation Record
Messier objects are fun to find and the hunt is just as exciting.  It is like the thrill of finding Waldo in a difficult scene.  I am slowly working on the Messier certification however, it will be difficult and the work will likely span several years.  Also, I would like to get back into observing the Moon.  There is a new lunar observing program that is not as exhaustive as the Isabel Williamson Lunar Observing Program.  It might be a good place to start.

0 comments:

Post a Comment