Monday, May 21, 2018

Messier Objects - M3

We had a significant amount of snow on the ground throughout the first half of Spring 2018.  This did not allow me to get out too much with the telescope to observe the sky.  I am currently working on the Messier Certificate which requires the manual observation of all 110 Messier Objects.  This catalogue includes 28 Open Clusters, 28 Globular Clusters, 8 Bright Nebulae, 4 Planetary Nebulae, 40 Galaxies and 1 Double Star.

I made a list of Spring Messier objects in a recent post and set a goal to find some of them this year.

The first object I intended to find was M3, a globular cluster located in the southern region of the lesser known constellation of Canes Venatici.  The map below shows where it can be located in the sky.

M3 Map
There is a bright star, known as α Canum Venaticorum (Cor Caroli), below the end handle star of the Big Dipper.  Approximately halfway between this star and α Boötis (Arcturus) lies the globular cluster known as M3.  In extremely dark, clear skies this cluster has been seen with the naked eye.

I used the red dot finder on my 8" reflector telescope to align it exactly between the two stars.  I moved the telescope slightly toward Arcturus and the cluster came into view.  It had been awhile since I observed a globular cluster and I certainly enjoyed the sight.  It looked like a blurry patch of light noticeably different than the background stars in my 62.5' field of view.  Light from the city, twilight and the crescent Moon provided enough light pollution that it was difficult to resolve any individual stars.  Later in the evening I was able to see some with averted vision.  It seemed slightly smaller than M13, the globular cluster located in Hercules several constellations away.

The next evening I was able to image M3 using my 4" refractor telescope.  This is shown below.  The galaxy NGC 5263 is also present in the image.  I hope to get out to a dark site and use a light pollution filter to aid in contrast.

M3
Some quick facts about M3 is that it is located approximately 33,900 light years away and contains about half a million stars.  It has quite a high abundance of elements heavier than hydrogen and helium and contains the highest number of variable stars in a globular cluster.  It is approximately 16.2' in diameter and shines at magnitude 6.2.

The observation record is shown below.
M3 Observation Record
This was a fun Messier to find as it was fairly bright and obvious when it was in the telescope's field of view.  Onto the next one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment